Wednesday, April 28, 2010

No. 131 - AMY

Amy and I were friends in that same rural town I spoke about yesterday, in which my parent's owned a milk bar by the river. I remember having friends over and taking walks along the banks and over the other side of the river to the outdoor stage to sing The Bangles' Eternal Flame (it was 1989!).

It turns out that Amy, well her Mum really, is/was friend's with another friend of ours from that town, Pebs. So a few years ago now I caught up with Amy and she told me the story of how we used to take one of the chicken meat rolls from the shop down to the river and try to catch fish (without a rod), using the chicken meat for bait. By chicken meat, I mean the manufactured stuff that is probably 99% cardboard, 1% chicken feet. I had completely forgotten about that. I also got the chance to walk along the bank where we used to walk. When I was young I remember it being covered in reeds, etc. and that it was quite difficult to walk through, especially with the adventurous imagination of a 9 year old. I was shocked at how small and very average it was to my adult eyes.

I also remember going to Amy's house. On special occasions we were allowed to go down to the local Coles supermarket and get a drink of cordial out of the machine. I miss that cordial, they just don't do artificial flavours like that any more = ( (no that isn't sarcasm)

No comments:

Post a Comment