Thursday, March 25, 2010

No. 97 - EDDIE

Eddie was our neighbour when we lived in Melbourne, so he knew me from day dot to 6 1/2 years.

The only still image I have of Eddie in my mind is him leaning over the fence, probably saying "Hey Peter" (to my Dad) and his beloved cockatoo sitting on the fence right beside him. I have vague memories of either under Eddie's house or in his smoke house - meats hanging everywhere.

There was no lawn to mow in his backyard, it was all garden beds, mostly growing vegetables. I'm not sure what it is about elderly neighbours but to a child they are just the greatest. Their home is always such an adventure and at their place you are always made to feel at home.

Eddie passed away, I believe from cancer a few years after we left. My parent's are still in touch with his wife, mainly at Christmas time (I'll save the rest for Gina's day).

No comments:

Post a Comment