Thursday, March 11, 2010

No. 83 - GONZO

Gonzo was the horse that I learned to ride on.

I was one of those girls that loved EVERYTHING horses. My Nan bought me a jumper with a horse on the front and the same year she also bought me a "Caring for Horses" book, which is probably only something you can get in the rural town in which she lives (we also lived there at the time). It was a wonderful tool for someone so addicted to these creatures.

I'm not sure if it was before or after that particular birthday that I actually took up horse riding lessons. You will learn about my teacher in another of these posts, but today is dedicated to the horse. Gonzo was a white horse, I can't recall the breed. We formed a special bond and obviously I was confident riding him. I was sad when he became too small for me and I had to move up to Shadow (he's also another post).

Gonzo loved to eat the usual chaff but treats included sugar cubes, molasses and fruit sticks. Not only did I learn to ride him (through bush and in paddocks) but I learned to care for him too. Washing him, brushing him and cleaning his hooves. He was a girl's dream (and a parent's too because he wasn't mine to keep).

No comments:

Post a Comment