Saturday, March 13, 2010

No. 85 - HELGE

Helge and I went to uni together.

I spent my last days at uni working with Helge on his film about a stand up comedian named Bob, who may be about to give his last show with anything but his usual scripted ending. I really enjoyed working on this film as we did everything from scratch, even sourcing an old run down ex-comedy club and bar that was due to be gutted. This meant we had full rein on changing the interior, by full rein I mean what our uni student selves could fund. As it had been abandoned for some time it also meant major safety hurdles - I love a challenge!

My uni course was difficult to get into as numbers were limited. As with most courses, by the final year numbers dwindle even more. Helge was part of the Norwegian brigade, that made up about a quarter of all students. He proved to me that you can work hard and achieve results all the while living it up in your free time. I've never met a Norwegian that didn't like a party.

I can thank Helge for my introduction to lingonberry sauce and teaching me that a bowl of steamed broccoli is actually a meal. I lived at home during uni and have never really lived that typical uni student life. I will never forget walking into Helge's shared apartment and seeing that a mattress standing up against the wall was the perfect place to throw a ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment