Wednesday, May 12, 2010

No. 145 - MARILYN

Marilyn is my Mother-In-Law, Kevin's Mum. The distance makes my relationship with Kevin’s family a little more unusual. We have known each other for a long time, Kevin and I have been married over 8 years, but I’ve only spent time with Marilyn on four separate occasions – February 2002, July/August 2004, Christmas 2006 and September - October 2008. It sounds terrible doesn’t it, but when you think of the cost involved with international travel, every two years is actually quite good.

I admire a few things about Marilyn, one is her family. Marilyn is one of eight children, 6 girls, and 2 boys. Attending a family function is something you can’t imagine or be prepared for, it’s something you just have to experience for yourself. With 6 girls it’s a loud occasion but special and warm too. I’d imagine that most large families with grown adults would find it easier to celebrate individually with their own children but I think it’s a requirement somewhere in the M. Family rules that you stick together.

Another thing I admire about Marilyn is her motivation. The Marilyn of today is a much slimmer woman than the one I met many years ago. I haven’t been there to share in her weight loss journey but I have seen glimpses of sheer determination and an uncanny will to walk anywhere, and in any weather. I see it as awaking some kind of determination dragon within you, something I have been searching for and am yet to find. I admire Marilyn’s ability to not only find that ball of unstoppable drive within her, but to harness it and stick with it.

I’m thankful to Marilyn for bringing the magic of Christmas back into my life. The hot humid climate of a Queensland summer is far from the white snow-covered, cosy Christmas we imagine. I think for me, Marilyn has shown me that Christmas magic is for both young and old. And really, decorating is the key. While I’ll never be the home decor master that is my Mother-In-Law, I have realised how it uplifts your mood. Even something as simple as eating dinner on linen placemats can make you feel special and brighten your day.

Recently Marilyn has faced probably the hardest fork in her road. While we would all like to live a happy rosy life, I don’t know if any of us really have one. All we can do is what is best for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment