Tuesday, February 16, 2010

No. 60 - MRS TANAKA

Mrs Tanaka is Mr Tanaka's wife and Mum of my friend Hiromi.

There is three main things I admire about Mrs Tanaka. One, she's a great housewife. Mrs Tanaka made caring for the kids (now adults) and making yummy bentos and fancy dinners look effortless.

While this may not be the case anymore, when I stayed with the Tanaka's, Mrs Tanaka, like many Japanese housewives kept house while her husband worked and lived away from home during the week. Mr Tanaka would come home on weekends. I can only imagine the strain this would put on a marriage, the children and daily life. I think it takes a strong patient person to life like that.

Thirdly I admire Mrs Tanaka for stepping out of her comfort zone. When I was staying in her home she made a tremendous effort to speak to me in English. I had been studying Japanese for about 5 years and wasn't confident enough to use it at much as I should have. Mrs Tanaka, who hadn't studied English at all, used more of it than I did Japanese, during my stay. It made me feel comfortable and when I think about shows just how much of a wonderful host she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment