Friday, February 12, 2010

No. 56 - REG

Reg is my late Pa's (Mum's Dad) brother.

I have only met Reg once and to me I felt like I was meeting a superstar. Sitting in the car, waiting to go inside to my Pa's funeral I looked over to my right. In a car, two parks down, was a man that was almost the spitting image of my Pa. I said to Dad at the time, "that HAS to be Reg".

An incident many years before, meant that I would never see my Pa and his brother together. In fact I'm not even sure my Mum had that privilege either. I took for granted that my Pa had family other than the ones I knew. I took for granted that there was a man out there that had the same slanted eye, same wavy hair and same hands as my Pa. Maybe it's the fact that I appreciate that Brian has the same thumbs as Kevin that makes me think this kind of thing is special. I guess it's a visible form of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment