Yes, Queensland Health does sound like a weird thing to have on my list. But I am sincerely grateful for their help.
Not long after Brian was born we were contacted by Queensland Health (as are, to my knowledge, all Brisbane Mums) and were given a check up appointment for Brian. It was probably at that appointment that I found out about the New Parent Groups that the Community Health Centre ran. I signed up straight away.
In late September 2008, Brian and I headed on into a room full of about 11 other Mums and their tiny new additions. Somehow we were supposed to absorb the information being taught to us, all the while comforting our babies, trying to breastfeed them and making emergency trips to the bathroom for nappy changes!
Four weeks later at our last meeting we all agreed to continue to meet up. This was, I'm sure for all of us the best thing we have ever done. 16 months later we have lost a couple of Mums and gained a couple but 8 of us are regularly in contact with one another and most of us continue to meet weekly. By Friday we are ready to let the kids play while we (try) to down a coffee and catch up on the crazy work/Mum week. The advice and support of other Mums in your position is invaluable and that's why I'm grateful for Queensland Health.
No comments:
Post a Comment